November 14, 2018
Dear Loma and CT Families,
CTE Turkey Trot Postponed:
Unfortunately, due to continued poor air quality, we have had to postpone the Turkey Trot to a later date to be determined.
Loma Academic Awards
Loma will be having our first trimester Academic Awards assembly this Friday, November 16th at 8:30 in the forum. The goal of our Academic Awards is to recognize students for exceptional effort and growth. In grades 3-5, teachers will select one student in writing, and one student in math who has shown outstanding grit, perseverance, growth, and an attention to excellence. Students in grades 1-5 who have met their end of year AR goal will receive awards for their accomplishment. Your child’s teacher will contact you if they will be receiving an award this trimester.
School Site Council
School Site Council is a group of parents, teachers, staff, and administrators from both Loma and CT who meets monthly to develop, review and evaluate school programs. This year our School Site Council has developed the following goals:
- Academic: Support the implementation of research-based interventions to support students at all levels of academic achievement.
- Academic: Encourage the incorporation of the developmental assets into the general education classroom.
- School Climate: Identify resources and promote awareness of positive decision-making skills with an emphasis on substance abuse prevention.
- Parent Education: Support the transition from elementary to middle to high school.
- Parent Education: Provide opportunities for parents to learn about cyber safety, fostering student independence and other effective parenting skills.
I will be reporting monthly in the Wednesday News on the progress of our School Site Council. Please let me know if you are interested in getting involved!
My Top Three Moments of the Week
- Watching Ms. Hulewat’s Performing Arts class perform “Fractured Fairytales.” They were hilarious!
- Exploring and shopping at the Book Fair. There is still one more day to check it out if you haven’t already!
- Enjoying all the delicious food that the Loma Home and School Club has been providing all week. Check out the photo of the 4-foot long burrito!
Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Karren Zook, Principal
Paul’s Construction Corner
Our reconstruction project is continuously moving forward. Wing A’s roof is completed and water tight. The canopy that will run along the front of the two buildings and into the entry of the gym is complete and expected to get the roofing installed on 11/16. Wing B’s roofing is getting the finishing touches put on and will be inspected on 11/16.
The 1st phase of pouring concrete between Wing B and the gym is scheduled for 11/29, this will affect the access to the gym. Students and the community will be directed to enter and exit through the rear doors of the gym while this work is being done. The district and the contractors understand the inconveniences that the construction has put upon the students, staff, parents and the community. We appreciate everyone’s patience while we work to complete this project.
We now are currently 201 days into construction and have had zero injuries during this project.
Loma Home & School News
Are you looking for a fun class for your 2nd through 5th grader on Friday afternoons? OSE science is holding another after school class. The class is both fun and educational. See attached flyer for more information.
Loma Day at Peacock Farm – December 8th
Let’s kick off the holiday season with some tree farm fun. Join us on Saturday, December 8th for Loma Day at the family owned and operated, Peacock Tree Farm. Peacock is graciously donating $10 from every tree purchase to the Loma Public Education Fund (LPEF). There will be also be Archie’s famous turkey gumbo, wine and a raffle. Peacock is conveniently located at 17950 Mountain Charlie Road, Los Gatos, CA.
Can’t join us on the 8th? Peacock will be donating $10 for every tree sale all season long. All you have to do is mention your tree is a “Loma Tree” at checkout.
Thank you, Peacock Tree Farm, for your continued support of our schools!
Loma’s Upcoming Events
11/12-11/16 Parent/Teacher Conferences / Minimum Day, 12:30 dismissal /Book Fair
11/16 Academic Awards assembly 8:30am / Beauty and the Beast 7pm
11/17-11/18 Beauty and the Beast play 1 and 7pm
1/19-11/23 Thanksgiving Holiday break
11/30 SoW and Citizen of the Month assembly / Spirit Day – college days
12/1-12/2 Holiday Craft Faire