January 23, 2019
Dear Loma Families:
Important Information for 7th Grade Parents and Guardians
The California Healthy Youth Act (CHYA) requires that comprehensive sexual health education and HIV prevention education be provided to students. To meet our obligation, the science department at C.T. English will be providing comprehensive sexual health education (middle school curriculum) to all 7th grade students during the calendar window of February 26 – March 15.
Per the California Healthy Youth Act, instruction must be medically accurate, age-appropriate, and inclusive of all students, and must encourage students to communicate with parents, guardians or other trusted adults about human sexuality. The following topics must be taught and/or addressed with middle school students:
- Information about HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including transmission, FDA approved methods to prevent HIV and STIs, and treatment.
- Information that abstinence is the only certain way to prevent unintended pregnancy and HIV and other STIs, and information about value of delaying sexual activity
- Discussion about social views of HIV and AIDS
- Information about a student’s right to access confidential medical care resources for sexual and reproductive health care
- Information about pregnancy, including FDA approved prevention methods, pregnancy outcomes, prenatal care, and the newborn safe surrender law
- Information about sexual orientation and gender, including the harm of negative gender stereotypes
- Information about healthy relationships and avoiding unhealthy behaviors and situations.
The Loma Prieto Joint Union School District has selected to pilot the Positive Prevention Plus Middle School Curriculum. Beginning Friday, January 25, instructional materials will be available to examine during school hours at C.T.’s Front Office.
A Parent Information Night is schedule for Tuesday, February 5 at 6:30 PM in the Loma Forum.
My Top Three Moments of the Week
- Watching CT kids happily pick-up their hot lunches from friendly parent volunteers. Lunches were all passed out in only 9 minutes)!
- Seeing signs for “The Loma Bowl” all over campus. It will be the Steelers verses the 49ers. I can’t wait for the big game!
- Listening to the sweet voices of fifty 1st graders practice the song “Sing about Martin” in the forum.
Attention East Bus Riders! (No bus service on the afternoon of 1/25)
The East Bus will be cancelled on the afternoon of Friday, January 25. Please make alternate plans for your child’s pick up. Please direct questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Loma Talent Show Reminder
Attention 2nd - 5th grade parents! This year's talent show, Loma-Palooza 2019, is on Friday February 15th. All applications must be submitted on-line and are due no later than 3pm on Friday Jan 25th. Auditions will be held Thursday, January 31st from 3-5pm.
All the information you need, including the on-line applications, can be found here:
Please contact Janis Riccomini directly with any questions you may have email@example.com
Karren Zook, Principal
Calling All Parents!!
My Yellow Balloon - Education Night – January 24, 2019
Our Loma School Site Council will be sponsoring an informative parent education night, January 24, 2019 from 6:30-8:30pm in the Loma Forum. The evening is designed to give Loma and CT English parents a first-hand look at the activities being planned for our students, the beauty of the story, and to meet the author in person.
Our reconstruction project is continuously moving forward. The kitchen is coming together nicely, unfortunately a few errors were identified and a counter will need to be sent back to the manufacturer to be repaired. This will not affect our date for temporary occupancy. The restrooms are getting the finishing touches put on and should be completed on 1/31. The concrete on the North-East side of Wing B has been poured. The contractor has moved to the West side of Wing A to complete the concrete and tie the site together. This is beneficial to achieve the temporary occupancy as it completes the ADA access. Once the portables have been removed the concrete contractor will finish the remaining site. The HVAC units are getting converted to propane and have been brought online to control the temperature in the rooms. The ceiling tile and tac board were delivered and are being installed in the rooms that are temperature controlled. The installation components are temperature sensitive. The flooring is scheduled to begin on 2/4.
The buildings are now ready to be painted. The interior paint is almost complete, and the exterior paint will begin on 1/23 and continue weather permitting.
We are currently on schedule to gain temporary occupancy on 2/18 for the art and music rooms. The portables in the parking lot are scheduled to be removed on 2/22. After the portables are removed, Phase 3 of the project can begin. Phase 3 includes creating the new parking area and bus drop off route. This work will temporarily impact the traffic for both C.T. English and Loma Prieta due to having to close off a portion of the parking lot. The district and contractors appreciate your patience as we try to move quickly as possible through this portion of the project. We now are currently 265 days into construction and have had zero injuries during this project and no lost day’s due to adverse weather.
Theatre in the Mountains
Get your tickets to see Once Upon a Mattress. Shows are Friday, 2/8 at 7pm, Saturday, 2/9 1 and 7pm, Sunday, 2/10 at 1pm. Go to www.heatreinthemountains.comfor tickets.
Loma’s Upcoming Events
1/25 Citizen of the Month assembly 8:30 / Beach Day (wear beach attire)
1/31 1stgrade field trip / Talent Show Auditions 3-5pm in Forum