January 23, 2019
Dear Loma and CT Families,
Important Information for 7th Grade Parents and Guardians
The California Healthy Youth Act (CHYA) requires that comprehensive sexual health education and HIV prevention education be provided to students. To meet our obligation, the science department at C.T. English will be providing comprehensive sexual health education (middle school curriculum) to all 7th grade students during the calendar window of February 26 – March 15.
Per the California Healthy Youth Act, instruction must be medically accurate, age-appropriate, and inclusive of all students, and must encourage students to communicate with parents, guardians or other trusted adults about human sexuality. The following topics must be taught and/or addressed with middle school students:
- Information about HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including transmission, FDA approved methods to prevent HIV and STIs, and treatment.
- Information that abstinence is the only certain way to prevent unintended pregnancy and HIV and other STIs, and information about value of delaying sexual activity
- Discussion about social views of HIV and AIDS
- Information about a student’s right to access confidential medical care resources for sexual and reproductive health care
- Information about pregnancy, including FDA approved prevention methods, pregnancy outcomes, prenatal care, and the newborn safe surrender law
- Information about sexual orientation and gender, including the harm of negative gender stereotypes
- Information about healthy relationships and avoiding unhealthy behaviors and situations.
The Loma Prieta Joint Union School District has selected to pilot the Positive Prevention Plus Middle School Curriculum. Beginning Friday, January 25, instructional materials will be available to examine during school hours at C.T.’s Front Office.
A Parent Information Night is schedule for Tuesday, February 5 at 6:30 PM in the Loma Forum.
My Top Three Moments of the Week
- Watching CT kids happily pick-up their hot lunches from friendly parent volunteers. Lunches were all passed out in only 9 minutes)!
- Seeing signs for “The Loma Bowl” all over campus. It will be the Steelers verses the 49ers. I can’t wait for the big game!
- Listening to the sweet voices of fifty 1st graders practice the song “Sing about Martin” in the forum.
Attention East Bus Riders! (No bus service on the afternoon of 1/25)
The East Bus will be cancelled on the afternoon of Friday, January 25. Please make alternate plans for your child’s pick up. Please direct questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Loma Talent Show Reminder
Attention 2nd-5th grade parents! This year's talent show, Loma-Palooza 2019, is on Friday February 15th. All applications must be submitted on-line and are due no later than 3pm on Friday Jan 25th.
All the information you need, including the on-line applications, can be found here:
Please contact Janis Riccomini directly with any questions you may have email@example.com
Karren Zook, Principal
Loma Prieta Joint Union School District
23800 Summit Road
Los Gatos, CA 95033
08/353-1106 – p
408/353-3274 – f
Calling All Parents!!
My Yellow Balloon - Education Night – January 24, 2019
Our Loma School Site Council will be sponsoring an informative parent education night on January 24, 2019 from 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. in the Loma Forum. The evening is designed to give Loma and C.T. English parents a first-hand look at the activities being planned for our students, the beauty of the story, and to meet the author in person.
For more information, please click here.
Paul’s Construction Corner
Our reconstruction project is continuously moving forward. The kitchen is coming together nicely, unfortunately a few errors were identified and a counter will need to be sent back to the manufacturer to be repaired. This will not affect our date for temporary occupancy. The restrooms are getting the finishing touches put on and should be complete on 1/31. The concrete on the North-East side of Wing B has been poured. The contractor has moved to the West side of Wing A to complete the concrete and tie the site together. This is beneficial to achieve the temporary occupancy as it completes the ADA access. Once the portables have been removed the concrete contractor will finish the remaining site concrete. As the HVAC units get converted to propane, they have been brought online to control the temperature in the rooms. The ceiling tile and tac board has been delivered and is beginning to be installed in the rooms that are temperature controlled. The installation components are temperature sensitive. The flooring is scheduled to begin on 2/4. The buildings are now ready for painting to begin. The interior paint is almost complete, and the exterior paint will begin on 1/23 and continue while weather permits. We are currently on schedule to gain temporary occupancy on 2/18 for the art and music rooms. The portables in the parking lot have been scheduled to be removed on 2/22. After the portables are removed, Phase 3 of the project can begin. Phase 3 includes creating the new parking area and bus drop off route. This work will temporarily greatly impact the traffic for both C.T. English and Loma Prieta due to having to close off a portion of the parking lot. The district and contractors appreciate your patience as we try to move quickly as possible through this portion of the project. We now are currently 265 days into construction and have had zero injuries during this project and no lost day’s due to adverse weather.
Director of Facilities
23800 Summit Road
Los Gatos CA, 95033
Open Enrollment: Los Gatos – Saratoga Union High School District
Each year, the Los Gatos – Saratoga Union High School District seeks to provide enrollment options for students who live within our attendance area, specifically through our open enrollment process. Open enrollment allows a student who resides within the attendance area of one of our district high schools the opportunity to apply for a transfer to the other high school.
You are receiving this email because you and your student reside within the Los Gatos High School attendance area and may be considering applying for an intra-district transfer to Saratoga High School through our open enrollment process.
Registration at your home school is required prior to completing the transfer request. Please contact the school registrar at your home school, Terri Dewing at 408-354-2730, x-231, to enroll your student online, providing proof of residency and to learn about special events and parent nights relevant to your student.
Should you be interested, please review the attached information outlining the process and note the following:
- Applications are available on the LGSUHSD website or at the LGSUHSD District office at 17421 Farley Road West, Los Gatos between January 22, 2019 and February 8, 2019.
- Completed applications must be turned in to the LGSUHSD District office at 17421 Farley Road West by February 8, 2019 (no later than 4:00 p.m.).
- Only a limited number of spaces will be available. This number is based on enrollment and school capacity.
- Should the number of applications exceed the space available, a random selection process will be used.
- Students whose transfers are not approved through the random process will be placed on a waiting list.
If, after reading the attachment, you have additional questions, please contact the Student Services Division at (408) 402-6323.
Choice Lunch Program
Please click on the link below to order school lunches for your CT Middle School Student.
If you are part of our free lunch program there is no need to enroll, we have pre-enrolled your student for you.
Wild Times @ CT English MS
Early Release EVERY Wednesday @ 1:30 pm
1/24/19 8th grade permission slips due for FT below.
1/24/19 Loma School Site Council sponsored Parent Ed Night-see info above
1/25/19 Quarter 2 Report Cards hand carried home by students
1/25/19 Winter Dance 7-9pm Loma Forum
1/28/19 8th grade field trip to LGHS for electives review.
2/5/19 7th Grade Parent Overview of the Human Growth and Development Program/Curriculum 6:30 Loma Forum