January 30, 2019
Dear Loma Families,
Science Fair Judges Needed!
We would like to invite you to be a judge at this year’s Loma Prieta Science and Engineering Festival on Friday, February 15th, 2019 from 8:15am to 3:30pm. The 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students have been working hard on their science festival projects and are eager to showcase their work.
Having professional judges really provides an opportunity for the students to communicate and grow as individuals and as collaborative teams. Being a science festival judge is both a rewarding and exciting experience for judges and we typically have judges return for multiple years, looking forward to it each time. If you choose to be a science project judge, you will be assigned to a 2.5-hour time slot on the 15th, which cannot be in your child’s current grade.
Please let Mr. Thompson (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) know if you are available this year for this wonderful event! Additionally, if you know of anyone who might be interested in being a judge, please forward this note to them!
Soccer Coach Needed!
The C.T. English Athletic Director is looking for a Junior Varsity Boys Soccer Coach and a Junior Varsity Girls Volleyball Coach.
If you are interested in helping with our teams this season, please send an email to Nancy Lanovaz at email@example.com
Important Information for 7th Grade Parents and Guardians
The California Healthy Youth Act (CHYA) requires that comprehensive sexual health education and HIV prevention education be provided to students. To meet our obligation, the science department at C.T. English will be providing comprehensive sexual health education (middle school curriculum) to all 7th grade students during the calendar window of February 26 – March 15.
Per the California Healthy Youth Act, instruction must be medically accurate, age-appropriate, and inclusive of all students, and must encourage students to communicate with parents, guardians or other trusted adults about human sexuality. The following topics must be taught and/or addressed with middle school students:
- Information about HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including transmission, FDA approved methods to prevent HIV and STIs, and treatment.
- Information that abstinence is the only certain way to prevent unintended pregnancy and HIV and other STIs, and information about value of delaying sexual activity
- Discussion about social views of HIV and AIDS
- Information about a student’s right to access confidential medical care resources for sexual and reproductive health care
- Information about pregnancy, including FDA approved prevention methods, pregnancy outcomes, prenatal care, and the newborn safe surrender law
- Information about sexual orientation and gender, including the harm of negative gender stereotypes
- Information about healthy relationships and avoiding unhealthy behaviors and situations.
The Loma Prieta Joint Union School District has selected to pilot the Positive Prevention Plus Middle School Curriculum. The instructional materials are available this week to examine during school hours at C.T.’s Front Office.
A Parent Information Night is schedule for Tuesday, February 5 at 6:30 PMin the Loma Forum.
My Top Three Moments of the Week
- Feeling inspired with the 7thgrades students as they hear from author, Tiffany Papageorge about her journey writing My Yellow Balloon.
- Checking out all the 100thDay of School festivities around Loma.We are all 100 days smarter!
- Spending time with Ms. Ramsey’s 5thgraders during Writers Workshop.The topic: how to write a compelling introduction.
Karren Zook, Principal
Paul’s Construction Corner
Our reconstruction project is continuously moving forward. The counter in the kitchen has been fixed and is ready to be installed. The roll up serving window has been installed as well as the doors that enter the gym including a Dutch door in which serving trays and other items will be able to easily pass through. The restrooms are getting the finishing touches put on and should be complete on 1/31. The first concrete pour has been completed for the West side of Wing A, the second is scheduled for 1/30 and if the rain holds off, the third section will get poured on 2/4. This is beneficial in order to achieve the temporary occupancy as it completes the ADA access. Once the portables have been removed the concrete contractor will finish the remaining site concrete. Now that all the HVAC units are online and the buildings are temperature controlled, the tac board can be completely finished and floors can get installed. The final above ceiling inspections was done 1/29; now, the inspections for the ceiling tiles will be completed. We are right on schedule to gain temporary occupancy for the art and music room 2/18. As we approach this date, all the final inspections must be passed before the Department of State Architects (DSA) will allow for occupancy. One of the reasons we have passed all inspections and been able to get this project completed in close to a year after ground breaking, is that we have had a state inspector which is the Inspector of Record, on site every day. He walks the site during the day to make sure all aspects of the construction are done correctly and will point anything out to avoid anything negative during the final inspections. The portables in the parking lot have been scheduled to be removed on 2/22. After the portables are removed, Phase 3 of the project can begin, which is to create the new parking area and bus drop off. This work will greatly impact the traffic for both C.T. English and Loma Prieta due to having close off a portion of the parking lot. The district and contractors appreciate your patience as we try to move quickly as possible through this portion of the project. We now are currently 272 days into construction and have had zero injuries during this project and no lost day’s due to adverse weather.
Loma HSC News
2019 Jogathon T-Shirt Contest – The 2019 Jogathon T-shirt design contest has started and will end February 15th. Submit your best artwork in the box located on the Home and School Club table in the Loma office. All entries must be submitted no later than 8:30am the morning of February 15th (maximum of 2 entries per student). Looking forward to seeing your beautiful art!
- Please limit your artwork to black and two other colors of your choice
- Solid, vibrant colors and large, bold images work better than pictures with fine small details
- Clip art will not be considered
- Artwork should be on an unlined, white 8 ½ x 11 sheet of paper
- No licensed characters and original drawings only
- Write your name and your teacher’s name on the BACK side of your artwork.
Theatre in the Mountains
Calling all 1st and 2nd graders! Auditions for Sleeping Beauty Kids will be February 11th and 13th. Registration is now open. Go to www.theatreinthemountains.org to sign up. See attached flyer.
Once Upon a Mattress
Presenting Once Upon a Mattress, Friday, February 8th 7pm, Saturday, February 9th 1pm and 7pm, and, Sunday, February 10th 1pm. See attached flyer.
Loma’s Upcoming Events
1/31 1st grade field trip / Talent Show Auditions 3-5pm Forum
2/1 SoW assembly 8:30am
2/5 Talent Show practice 3-5pm
2/7 Talent Show practice 3-5pm
2/8 SoW assembly 8:30am