January 30, 2019
Dear Loma and CT Families,
Science Fair Judges Needed!
We would like to invite you to be a judge at this year’s Loma Prieta Science and Engineering Festival on Friday, February 15th, 2019 from 8:15am to 3:30pm. The 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students have been working hard on their science festival projects and are eager to showcase their work.
Having professional judges really provides an opportunity for the students to communicate and grow as individuals and as collaborative teams. Being a science festival judge is both a rewarding and exciting experience for judges and we typically have judge’s return for multiple years, looking forward to it each time. If you choose to be a science project judge, you will be assigned to a 2.5-hour time slot on the 15th, which cannot be in your child’s current grade.
Please let Mr. Thompson (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) know if you are available this year for this wonderful event! Additionally, if you know of anyone who might be interested in being a judge, please forward this note to them!
Soccer Coach Needed!
The C.T. English Athletic Director is looking for a Junior Varsity Boys Soccer Coach and a Junior Varsity Girls Volleyball Coach.
If you are interested in helping with our teams this season, please send an email to Nancy Lanovaz at email@example.com
Important Information for 7th Grade Parents and Guardians
The California Healthy Youth Act (CHYA) requires that comprehensive sexual health education and HIV prevention education be provided to students. To meet our obligation, the science department at C.T. English will be providing comprehensive sexual health education (middle school curriculum) to all 7th grade students during the calendar window of February 26 – March 15.
Per the California Healthy Youth Act, instruction must be medically accurate, age-appropriate, and inclusive of all students, and must encourage students to communicate with parents, guardians or other trusted adults about human sexuality. The following topics must be taught and/or addressed with middle school students:
- Information about HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including transmission, FDA approved methods to prevent HIV and STIs, and treatment.
- Information that abstinence is the only certain way to prevent unintended pregnancy and HIV and other STIs, and information about value of delaying sexual activity
- Discussion about social views of HIV and AIDS
- Information about a student’s right to access confidential medical care resources for sexual and reproductive health care
- Information about pregnancy, including FDA approved prevention methods, pregnancy outcomes, prenatal care, and the newborn safe surrender law
- Information about sexual orientation and gender, including the harm of negative gender stereotypes
- Information about healthy relationships and avoiding unhealthy behaviors and situations.
The Loma Prieta Joint Union School District has selected to pilot the Positive Prevention Plus Middle School Curriculum. The instructional materials are available this week to examine during school hours at C.T.’s Front Office.
A Parent Information Night is schedule for Tuesday, February 5 at 6:30 PM in the Loma Forum. Please see attached letter
My Top Three Moments of the Week
- Feeling inspired with the 7th grades students as they hear from author, Tiffany Papageorge about her journey writing My Yellow Balloon.
- Checking out all the 100th Day of School festivities around Loma. We are all 100 days smarter!
- Spending time with Ms. Ramsey’s 5th graders during Writers Workshop. The topic: how to write a compelling introduction.
Karren Zook, Principal
Loma Prieta Joint Union School District
23800 Summit Road
Los Gatos, CA 95033
08/353-1106 – p
408/353-3274 - f
Paul’s Construction Corner
Our reconstruction project is continuously moving forward. The counter in the kitchen has been fixed and is ready to be installed. The roll up serving window has been installed as well as the doors that enter the gym, including a Dutch door that serving trays and other items will be able to easily be passed through. The restrooms are getting the finishing touches put on and should be complete on 1/31. The first concrete pour has been completed for the West side of wing A the second is scheduled for 1/30 and if the rain holds off the third section will get poured on 2/4. This is beneficial to achieve the temporary occupancy as it completes the ADA access. Once the portables have been removed the concrete contractor will finish the remaining site concrete. Now that all the HVAC units are online and the buildings are temperature controlled the tack board can be completely finished and floors can get installed. The final ceiling inspections are scheduled for 1/29, following the inspections the ceiling tiles will be installed. We are currently right on schedule to gain temporary occupancy on 2/18 for the art and music room, as we approach this date all the final inspections must be passed before the Department of State Architects (DSA) will allow occupancy of the new buildings. One of the reasons we have passed all inspections and have been able to get this project complete in close to a year after ground breaking, is that we have had the State Inspector of Record on site every day for this project. He walks the site during the day to make sure all aspects of the construction are done correctly and will point anything out before hand to avoid anything negative during the final inspections. The portables in the parking lot are scheduled to be removed on 2/22. After the portables are removed phase 3 of the project can begin. This stage is to create the new parking area and bus drop off route; this work will greatly impact the traffic for both C.T. English and Loma Prieta due to the closure of a portion of the parking lot. The district and contractors appreciate your patience as we try to move as quickly as possible through this portion of the project. We now are currently 272 days into construction and have had zero injuries during this project and no lost days due to adverse weather.
Director of Facilities
23800 Summit Road
Los Gatos CA, 95033
Open Enrollment: Los Gatos – Saratoga Union High School District
Each year, the Los Gatos – Saratoga Union High School District seeks to provide enrollment options for students who live within our attendance area, specifically through our open enrollment process. Open enrollment allows a student who resides within the attendance area of one of our district high schools the opportunity to apply for a transfer to the other high school.
You are receiving this email because you and your student reside within the Los Gatos High School attendance area and may be considering applying for an intra-district transfer to Saratoga High School through our open enrollment process.
Registration at your home school is required prior to completing the transfer request. Please contact the school registrar at your home school, Terri Dewing at 408-354-2730, x-231, to enroll your student online, providing proof of residency and to learn about special events and parent nights relevant to your student.
Should you be interested, please review the attached information outlining the process and note the following:
- Applications are available on the LGSUHSD website or at the LGSUHSD District office at 17421 Farley Road West, Los Gatos between January 22, 2019 and February 8, 2019.
- Completed applications must be turned in to the LGSUHSD District office at 17421 Farley Road West by February 8, 2019 (no later than 4:00 p.m.).
- Only a limited number of spaces will be available. This number is based on enrollment and school capacity.
- Should the number of applications exceed the space available, a random selection process will be used.
- Students whose transfers are not approved through the random process will be placed on a waiting list.
If, after reading the attachment, you have additional questions, please contact the Student Services Division at (408) 402-6323.
Choice Lunch Program
Please click on the link below to order school lunches for your CT Middle School Student.
If you are part of our free lunch program there is no need to enroll, we have pre-enrolled your student for you.
Wild Times @ CT English MS
Early Release EVERY Wednesday @ 1:30 pm
2/5/19 7th Grade Parent Overview of the Human Growth and Development Program/Curriculum 6:30 Loma Forum
2/8 -2/10/19 Once Upon a Mattress in the Gym-see attached flyer
2/14 & 2/15 CT Science Fair in the Gym-all day-see attached flyer
2/14 CT Family Science night in the Gym 5-7pm-see attached flyer
2/18-2/22/19 NO SCHOOL-February Break
2/25-3/15/19 7th Grade Human Growth & Dev. Curriculum in science classes
3/1/19 CT Skate Night @ Sharks Ice SJ 7-9pm
3/22/19 8th grade Spanish 2 placement test given in class 6th period
3/22/19 End of Quarter 3 grading period
3/22/19 CT Movie Night-Forum 7-9pm