February 6, 2019
Dear Loma Families,
Fire Drill Success
Today, we had our second fire drill of the year at both schools. Students practiced lining up and walking in a calm and quiet manner to their designated evacuation locations. Our teachers took roll to ensure each student was accounted for. The facilities staff conducted a sweep of the schools to check that everyone had been evacuated, just as they would in the event of a real fire. I am happy to report that our students did a awesome job!
My Top Three Moments of the Week (SNOW!!!)
- Having a Loma snow party! It was super exciting to find the school covered in snow on Tuesday morning. Coach Patino brought out the speaker and played winter music while we enjoyed a once in a decade experience of playing in the snow at school.
- Watching a 5th grader make a 3-foot tall snowball on the Loma field, and later seeing 3rd graders balance on top of it.
- Overhearing an 8th grader tell her mom with uncharacteristic enthusiasm, “We got to play in the snow today at school!”
Karren Zook, Principal
Paul’s Construction Corner
Our reconstruction project is continuously moving forward. It was a big day for the kitchen yesterday. The last of the equipment was delivered and will get installed today, 2/16. There are some finishing touches left, but most of the kitchen is complete. The restrooms are completed and ready for use. The second concrete pour was placed in between rain storms and was successfully completed. The third pour was pushed back until today due to rain and snow; the contractor was able to move to another section in order not to lose any time. Once the portables have been removed the concrete contractor will finish the remaining site concrete. The tac board, ceiling tiles, and carpets have been completely installed; the tile flooring will be completed 2/7. As of right now the buildings are 90% complete. We have scheduled a punch list walk for 2/12. During this walk, the contractors, project managers, inspectors, architect, and I, will be looking for any details that are not finished. The contractors must complete the punch list before they get their final payment. We are currently right on schedule to gain temporary occupancy on 2/18 for the art and music rooms. The portables in the parking lot have been scheduled to be removed 2/22. After the portables are removed Phase 3 of the project can begin, which is to create the new parking area and bus drop off route. This work will greatly impact traffic for both C.T. English and Loma Prieta due to having to close off a portion of the parking lot. Here is the link to a map of the construction fence and how it will impact traffic during pick up and drop off of students. It would be best to find an alternative way to get your students to school starting on 2/25 to 3/18. Having students take the school bus, use or park on the North side of Summit Road, or use the pedestrian bridge would be the preferred methods. The district and contractors appreciate your patience as we try to move quickly as possible through this portion of the project. We are now currently 279 days into construction and have had zero injuries during this project and no lost day’s due to adverse weather.
Home and School Club News
2019 Jogathon T-shirt Contest
The Loma HSC is now accepting entries for the 2019 Jogathon T-shirt design! Submit your best artwork in the box located on the Home and School Club table in the Loma Office. All entries must be submitted no later than 8:30am the morning of February 15th (maximum 2 entries per student). Looking forward to seeing your beautiful art!
- Please limit your artwork to black and two other colors of your choice.
- Solid, vibrant colors and large, bold images work better than pictures with fine, small details.
- Clip art will not be considered.
- Artwork should be on an unlined, white, 8 1⁄2” x 11” sheet of paper.
- No licensed characters and original drawings only.
- Write your name and your teacher’s name on the BACK side of your artwork.
Loma’s Upcoming Events
2/7 Talent Show Rehearsal 3-5pm
2/8 SoW Assembly
2/12 4thgrade field trip / Talent Show Rehearsal 3-5pm
2/14 Valentine’s Day
2/15 Talent Show 12 Act I 12:30-1:30, Act II 1:50-1:45p,
2/18-2/22 Winter Break – No School