October 16, 2019
Dear Loma and CT Families,
My Top 3 Moments of the Week...
- Hearing all the fabulous speeches of our student council candidates at Loma’s election assembly. I was so impressed by all the candidates’ poise, confidence, and great ideas.
- Checking out Mrs. Dudley’s Living History Day.The 6th graders did some amazing basket weaving.
- Learning how to be a thoughtful “Fluency Partner” with Ms. Krueer’s class. Ms. Krueer’s Cool Cats are certainly an encouraging group of peer coaches!
Loma Parent Volunteer Reminders
We LOVE and depend on our fabulous parent volunteers! Below are some important reminders when you volunteer at school:
- Non-enrolled siblings are NOT allowed on campus during school hours. This is true of school field trips, as well. Please find alternate childcare for your small children. Little siblings are welcome at the Friday assembly.
- Volunteers must sign-in at the front office before going to the classroom.
- CT students are NOT allowed to volunteer on the Loma campus unless they are in the TA program.
- All volunteers must have a current TB test on file.
Pedestrian Bridge Closure Considerations
- The bridge and path will be closed from 10/7-12/2.
- Consider putting your child/children on the bus to avoid parking lot delays and congestion.
- Families are encouraged to drop-off/pick-up in the school parking lot during this period of construction, or better yet, use the bus.
- Though it is still allowed, we strongly discourage Friday walks to Summit Store during construction.
- Please remember to be patient, polite, and alert while in the parking lot. Safety first!
Karren Zook, Principal
Loma HSC News
BooBash 2019 Sign up Genius is Live
Great news!!! BooBash has been revamped this year to appeal to ALL AGES, but we need YOUR help to make it a slam dunk! Many positions available for both adults and CT kids (earn community service hours), we even need CT kid scarers for the Haunted House. We can’t make this fun event happen without everyone’s help. Many hands make for light work! Please sign up for what you can and pass the word around. Go to https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e044eabab2aa5fd0-boobash2 and sign up.
If you can’t make it, perhaps you can donate cupcakes or muffins for the Cupcake Walk or any baked goods for the bake sale! This is our 2nd largest Loma fundraiser after the Jogathon and 100% of the proceeds go towards the school and kids’ needs for art and music support, and so much more.
Games include massive rock wall, Jacob’s Ladder, Inflatable Velcro wall, Basketball Toss and our very own, HAUNTED HOUSE!!!! We have many more games for younger and older kids, so come and have some fun for a good cause!
It’s going to be SPOOOOKTACULAR!!
Volunteers for BooBash Game Supervision Needed
The BooBash is coming up soon, October 26th in the gazebo area behind Building Blocks. Loma HSC has a massively entertaining afternoon planned for all ages. Thank you so much to those of you who have already signed up to make this the best BooBash yet. There are still many volunteer slots left to be filled, and the most important being our game supervisor. We have 6 really fun games that we would like to have available for all 4 hours of the BooBash, but we need your help to make sure they stay open. This is a really easy way to help, and it’s really adorable to watch the kids in costumes and see how excited they get earning their prizes. We are in serious need for supervisor from 3-6pm. You can sign up for 1-hour slots (multiple slots ok). Game supervision slots can be filled by an adult, responsible CT or LGHS student (community service hours). Signup at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e044eabab2aa5fd0-boobash2
Donations Needed for the Haunted House
HSC is excited to bring back the Haunted House at this year’s BooBash. Old timers might remember it from when we used to have the BooBash in the gym. Sadly, our decorations and supplies have been sitting around the musty storage locker for so long that a lot of them had to be thrown out. Here are some items we can use:
- Halloween decorations (hanging decorations,
- Lawn decorations, signs
- Lights (strings of lights, black lights, scary projections, etc.)
- Black tarps or plastic sheeting, rope, carabiners, clamps/clips, duct tape
- Dry ice/fog machine.
Donations can be left in the bin outside the Loma office.
Please turn in your waivers if you haven’t already done so. Your child WILL NOT be able to participate in HSC events if we don’t have it on file. You can scan and email to LomaPrietaHSC@yahoo.com or turn into Raquel (Loma) or Julie (CT.)
Volunteer coaches are still needed to continue our Girls on the Run team this spring!
Loma Prieta Community Children’s Photo Show
There’s no cost to submit a photo. Photos will be printed out and hung in Whitaker Hall at Skyland. Children will receive their printed, enlarged photos after the show. The Milk and Cookies Opening will be an open house format where families are encouraged to come by, appreciate the photos, have a snack and participate in informal, optional arts/crafts/story reading/face painting/etc. There will be no religious activity or announcement of anything related to religion. The deadline to submit a photo is Monday, October 21st at 11:59pm. See the attached flyer for more details.
Loma Prieta Community Foundation Presents:
Centering and Silence (meditation) every Friday at 8:30 am starting October 25
Are you an overly busy parent? The Loma Prieta Foundation is sponsoring a free weekly meditation series led by Kevin Omi starting Friday, October 25 at 8:30 am at the temporary community center (portable beside Building Blocks Preschool). Please see attached flyer for details.
Loma’s Upcoming Events
10/7-12/2/19 Bridge Closure
10/15 The Parenting Continuum: "Communicating with Your Kids" at 7 pm Van Meter School
10/14-10/18 5th grade Pigeon Point field trip (10/14-10/16 Ramsay, 10/16-10/18Shoemate
10/18 SoW assembly 8:30
10/21 Kinder Pumpkin Patch field trip
10/25 SoW/CoM assembly / Crazy Hair Day
10/26 BooBash 2-6pm