Wednesday's News from October 15, 2014
October 15, 2014
Dear Loma Parents/Guardians:
Both Loma and CTE will be participating in the Great California Shake out on October 16, 2014.
The earthquake drill will be conducted at 10:26am at both schools simultaneously.
Our teachers will talk to the students about “Drop, Cover, Hold On” and will practice in class
before the drill. If a student cannot get under a desk, they will be asked to curl up in an inside corner
and cover their neck/head as best they can. Please discuss the importance of this drill with your
Loma Prieta Quake Commemorative Event
All are invited on Friday, October 17, at 4:30pm to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Loma
Prieta Earthquake. Whether you lived on the mountain before this earth-shaking day or have moved
here since, please join us on this special day. The event will take place at the site of the former
location of Loma Prieta Elementary, 23845 Summit Road (location of the Gazebo and Building
We are looking for photographs and/or stories from that time in our history that will be shared at
the event. If you have either, please contact Christina Lopp-Schwabecher at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-419-4596. Please share this email with any family members
or neighbors who might be interested.
See you on the 17th!
The Gala is over but you can still catch some great deals on terrific Gala Auction Items: Items still
- Kid Fun/Teacher Outings: Holiday Art & Craft Parties, Movie & Pizza Party, Hiking & Ice
Cream, Bike Tour and picnic!
- Get Fit: Personal training and Gym Memberships, Pilates and Karate!
- Just for Adults: Margarita Fiesta, Garbage > Garden Composing 101!
Visit the >>GALA BIDPAY<< site and click on “shop items” to start bidding. Bidding on these
awesome items will close on Friday, October 17th. Questions? Contact email@example.com.
Fundraising never tasted so GOOD!
Join us today, October 15th at the Willow Street Wood Fired Pizza and Main Street Burgers “Giving
Back Fundraising Program” for our schools. Don’t want to cook tonight? This will be the perfect
way to get out of the kitchen and support our schools. Willow Street will donate 20% and Main
Street Burgers will donate 15% for your take-out or dine-in food and beverage purchases all day –
LUNCH AND DINNER. See you all there!
Please do not solicit other guests on the premises!
Welcome to the “Shake Rattle, Drop & Cover and Hold” Days.
As many of you know, we here at Loma and CTE are participating in the Great Shake Out Earth
Quake Drill tomorrow. We are inspired to join the millions who are participating in this event.
Ask your children about their Drop, Cover and Hold experience when they come home tomorrow.
Up here, this time of year is particularly near and dear to our hearts and memories. Those of us who
were living in or near Lost Gatos during the mighty Loma Prieta Quake of 89 are very likely to have
the minutest details of their “shaky stories” engraved upon their memories. Every once in a while
we unpack those stories and share them again in groups. As you may also know, we will be doing
just that, sharing stories, and celebrating life tomorrow at the Loma Prieta Earthquake
Commemorative Event. Do come and celebrate our schools’ and community accomplishments
since that fateful day in October.
Location: North Campus Time: 4:30 PM - 6:00 PM
Enjoy exploring the Great Shake Out website http://www.shakeout.org/
Follow this link to try your had at this fun and informative game:
Mrs. Carino’s Top Ten Week 8:
1. Fall Weather burst on the scene with a power punch insisting that the “Dog Days” of
summer change to the crisp, breezy days of fall;
2. There is, however, still a battle between sandals and boots. Some of us are more ready than
others to make that switch;
3. A student who finally lost her bottom tooth proudly showed me her new trick, squishing a
little portion of a pink tongue through the newly vacated space between her teeth;
4. Visiting the soccer games on a Saturday. Wow! So many of our Loma and CTE (refs)
students were on the field. I was rooting for a wealth of different colored jerseys!
“Go Green… Go Orange… Go Blue”;
5. Peeking in on Mrs. Dufort’s class after the flag salute, beautiful harmonies can be enjoyed as
the class regularly warms up their voices by singing My Country Tis of Thee and America the
6. Girls have joined the boys playing wall ball on the Loma Field. Think Coach Patino’s
instruction in the rules of Wall Ball was the inspiration;
7. A wild whipping wind blew in yesterday;
8. Excited middle school students running and playing in the wind during their lunch;
9. A murder of crows swooped, cawed in flew circles around the pines. They were just as
excited as the middle school students;
10. Scarecrows, spiders, skeletons, and pumpkin spiced goodies are now visiting at both