Wed News from Oct 15, 2014
October 15, 2914
Dear CT Parents,
The Great California ShakeOut is a day of special events featuring the largest earthquake drill ever, organized to inspire Californians to get ready for big earthquakes, and to prevent disasters from becoming catastrophes. What we do now, before a big earthquake, will determine what our lives will be like afterwards. The ShakeOut drill will occur in schools, homes, businesses, and public spaces alike throughout California on October 16, 2014. Both our schools will be participating in the drill on Thursday morning. Please consider visiting www.shakeout.org for more information on how to help secure your home and your family's safety in the event of an earthquake.
The ShakeOut closely coincides each year with the anniversary of the Loma Prieta Quake, which struck just after 5:00 pm on October 17th, 1989. This year marks the 25th anniversary of this disaster, which became a defining moment within our community. All are invited on Friday, October 17th, from 4:30 -5:30 p.m., to commemorate the anniversary of the Loma Prieta Earthquake. Whether you lived on the mountain before this earth-shaking day or have moved here since, please join us on this special day. The event will take place at the site of the former location of Loma Prieta Elementary, 23845 Summit Road (location of the Gazebo and Building Blocks). Please bring the family, but not the dog. Thanks! Hope to see you there!
The Gala is over but you can still catch some great deals on terrific Gala Auction Items including:
Kid Fun/Teacher Outings: Holiday Art & Craft Parties, Movie & Pizza Party, Hiking & Ice Cream, Bike Tour & Picnic!
Get Fit: Personal Training & Gym Memberships, Pilates & Karate!
Just for Adults: Margarita Fiesta, Garbage > Garden Composting 101!
Visit the >>GALA BIDPAY<< site and click on "shop items" to start bidding. Bidding on these awesome items will close on Friday, October 17th.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Wild Times @ CTE
Early Release EVERY Wednesday @ 1:30 pm
10/15/14 Meet & Eat at Main Street Burger or Willow Street all day.
10/15/14 CTE HSC mtg. 8:30 in the CC room
10/17/14 End of quarter 1 grading period
10/17/14 CTE “Shake, Rattle & Roll” Dance 7-9 pm in the Forum
10/18/14 TIM workshop 10 am- 2pm Dance room @ CTE
10/31/14 Minimum day @ both schools 12:30 dismissal
11/3/14 Narnia Auditions
11/4/14 Narnia Auditions
11/5/14 Narnia Auditions
Welcome to the “Shake, Rattle, Drop, Cover and Hold” Days.
As many of you know we here at Loma and CTE are participating in the Great Shake Out Earth Quake Drill tomorrow. We are inspired to join the millions who are participating in this event. Ask your children about their Drop, Cover and Hold experience when they come home tomorrow.
Up here we hold this time of year particularly near and dear in our hearts and memories. Those of us who were living in or near Lost Gatos during the mighty Loma Prieta Quake of ‘89 are very likely to have the minutest details of their “shaky stories” engraved upon their memories. Every once in a while we unpack those stories and share them again in groups. As you may also know, we will be doing just that, sharing stories, and celebrating life tomorrow at the Loma Prieta Earthquake Commemorative Event. Do come and celebrate our schools’ and community accomplishments since that fateful day in October.
Location: North Campus Time: 4:30 PM - 6:00 PM
Enjoy exploring the Great Shake Out website http://www.shakeout.org/
Follow this link to try your hand at this fun and informative game:
Rebecca’s Top Ten Week 8:
- Fall Weather burst on the scene with a power punch insisting that the “Dog Days” of summer change to the crisp, breezy days of fall;
- There is, however, still a battle between sandals and boots. Some of us are more ready than others to make that switch;
- A student who finally lost her bottom tooth proudly showed me her new trick, squishing a little portion of a pink tongue through the newly vacated space between her teeth;
- Visiting the soccer games on a Saturday. Wow! So many of our Loma and CTE (refs) students were on the field. I was rooting for a wealth of different colored jerseys!
“Go Green… Go Orange… Go Blue”;
- Peeking in on Mrs. Dufort’s class after the flag salute, beautiful harmonies can be enjoyed as the class regularly warms up their voices by singing My Country Tis of Thee and America the Beautiful;
- Girls have joined the boys playing wall ball on the Loma Field. Think Coach Patino’s instruction in the rules of Wall Ball was the inspiration;
- A wild whipping wind blew in yesterday;
- Excited middle school students running and playing in the wind during their lunch;
- A murder of crows swooped, cawed in flew circles around the pines. They were just as excited as the middle school students;
- Scarecrows, spiders, skeletons, and pumpkin spiced goodies are now visiting at both campuses.