November 12, 2014
Dear Loma Parents/Guardians
Parent Conferences are coming! The dates are November 17th through November 21st. These are minimum days every day at Loma ONLY!
Parent teacher conferences are an important time for you and your child’s teacher to collaborate on shared goals. You are the expert on your child, and the teacher is the expert on teaching at this grade level. Parents and teachers both bring extremely valuable perspectives and skills to the conference. This is a time for two-way communication. You can share your expertise on how your child encounters the world, and your child’s teacher will share their perspective on how your child approaches both the curriculum and the social environment of school. Collaboration sometimes requires compromise; striking a balance of ideas is often in the best interest of your child. It is important that you and your child’s teacher have a shared understanding about what will be expected, and what support will be needed, for the coming trimester.
Here are some thoughts on how to prepare:
Before the conference:
1. Think about what questions you have and make a list of your top 3-5. Conferences are time limited so it is important to prioritize.
2. Ask your child what they would like you to ask about, learn about, or discuss with their teacher.
During the conference:
1. Review the work samples your teacher provides and understand the strengths and areas for growth outlined by the teacher.
2. We have a new report card system. Some things will look different and some the same. The indicators are of where your child is right now. It’s a snap shot for if they are on target by grade level and in comparison to the rest of the class.
3. Ask for help if there are challenges you are having with your child. You are not alone. Your child’s teacher is an ally and a professional. If there are questions that can’t be answered immediately, teachers are well positioned to find resources and strategies for your child’s individual needs.
After the conference:
4. Talk with your child about the conversation with his/her teacher and highlight the positives the teacher mentions about your child.
5. Follow up with your child’s teacher and make a date for any planned follow up conversations.
The Parent/Teacher conference week includes minimum days every day with dismissal at 12:30 for Loma students only. Please make sure to pack a hearty snack for your child since there will be no lunch break.
Loma Home and School News
Sees Candy, Gift Wrap and more - Holiday Fundraisers are here!
Four great ways to get ready for the holidays and earn money for Loma!
Order online at https://www.yumraising.com/secure/loma_winter_201459
Deadline is Friday November 29th - so get your orders in and we'll distribute in early December.
Innisbrook Holiday Gift Wrap
Order online at http://www.innisbrook.com/friends, and enter our school code: 119909
No deadline, and your order ships to you! Combine your order with friends to save on shipping!
Simply Remarkable Holiday Labels
Cute holiday chalk labels for your holiday gifts!
Order online at http://www.simplyremarkable.com and use coupon code LOMAHSC
Gift Cards! Perfect for when you don't know what to get!
Download your form here at http://www.lomaprietahsc.org/Documents/ScripOrderForm_081214.pdf
Turn in your form and check made out to Loma HSC at the Loma Office
Check out our attached flyer for more details, and contact Nora Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
Hot Lunch Friday’s
In order for your child t receive hot lunch on Friday’s, you’ll need to place the order by Wednesday of that week. The new menu is up and you can order lunch through February. See attached flyer for instructions.