News from Wednesday December 10, 2014
Dear Loma & CT Parents,
Thoughts from Tuesday Night:
The good news is that rain is on the way. The bad news is that high winds are expected to accompany the rain. The question has been asked, will school be open? The simple answer is: “Yes!”
If our schools are closed, I will notify the follow local media stations by 6:30 am on the day of a closure:
KUSP FM 88.9
KCBS AM 740
KSCO AM 1080
KGO AM 810
KFOX FM 98.5
KNTV Channel 11
KSBW TV Channel 8 or 6
We will also post to our District news page on our website if you have access to the Internet. While the power is still on, you might also consider visiting the emergency information on our website at the following link:
Additionally, we recognize that every road on the mountain is different and that each family will have to make a decision about the feasibility of getting your children to school, and home from school, during difficult storm conditions. If you decide to keep your student home, please remember to call your child’s absence in to the school office. While legally, this will be an unexcused absence for state reporting, we will declare storm related absences as “locally excused” so that students can make up the work missed. Please err on the side of safety. If you need to come get your student before the end of the school day due to storm conditions, come to the school office for pick up. If you cannot make it to school due to road closures, please call us and we will work with you, and the contacts on your emergency form, to get your child to a trusted adult.
The safety of all children is one of our top priorities. Please slow down and drive carefully in our driveway, parking lots, and school zones. The posted speed limit of our driveways and parking area is 10 MPH. Please do not allow your students to get out of your vehicle on the driveway hill next to CT English. Please wait and drive your student to either the Gym or front of CT. Loma students should always be walked by a parent across the parking lot. Thank you for helping keep all students safe.
Inspiration from Black Friday
I just love our mountain and the kids that grow up here. Jack E.’s mom shared this with me after Thanksgiving. With her permission, I am sharing it with you. After the holiday break, I told Jack when I saw him at CT English, that he made me cry. At first, he looked a little puzzled. Then I told him I’d seen this video. I remember when soccer great Brandi Chastain came to speak at Loma and CT. She said, “Every day we have a chance to bring somebody up, or tear them down.” Thank you Jack for making a difference. Thank you Jenny and Vova for modeling inspirational parenting. You help me stop and think about what is really important, how every day matters, and how to keep an open heart. You rock!
Parents the CT lost & found is HUGE and overflowing! Please come claim your student’s water bottles, lunch bags, coats, sweatshirts, etc. before we donate them.
Want a great holiday idea for your CT student? Buy them a CT ornament or a Mr. English Calendar! All proceeds help send our 8th grade students to Washington DC over Spring break. Ornaments are $10 and Calendars $15. We also have a few extra wreaths leftover from the Craft Faire for sale. Please come into the CT office to purchase your items.
LOMA HOME & SCHOOL CLUB NEWS:
HICKLEBEE'S BOOK FAIR WITH VALERIE LEWIS - TH, DEC 11TH - 7 PM - Loma Community Center
The Loma Home and School Club is proud to present Valerie Lewis, Loma Grandparent, and co-owner of Hicklebee's Children's Books as our speaker for a magical evening of books for children. Valerie is a lively speaker, and will talk about her favorite new books of the season. Hicklebee's will have many of their wonderful books available that evening for purchase, with a portion of the sales coming back to Loma Prieta. Invite your friends and we hope to see you there. **If you are unable to attend in the evening - come by anytime after 12pm on Thursday to purchase books!**
HOLIDAY GIFT CARDS FOR SALE!
Are you stumped for holiday gifts? Why not give Gift Cards and earn $$ for Loma! Here's how it works:
2. Drop off your order form with your check made out to Loma HSC in the Loma Office
3. Email Nora Kim at email@example.com for any questions.
Rebecca’s Top Ten Favorites Week 15
- There is a small “mountain of clothing”, lunch boxes and water bottles outside the front door of Loma Prieta Elementary. A few individuals consistently tidy the pile. Last call for these items will be Friday December 19. After that date we will donate them to a charity;
- An engaging time in Ms Peralta’s grade 7 class identifying reading passages that contained figurative language. Now the question and the “quest” sits in the forefront of my mind. If the curious bug bites you just ask a 7th grader is it literal or figurative and if figurative, to which category of figurative language does it belong;
- The projection of Julie Bourque’s voice speaking to the CTE students over the loud never fails to put a smile on my face;
- A stroll through fabulous CTE HSC Craft Fair, eating good food, listing to soft live music, visiting with friends and checking off the Gift List with the purchase of some fine, high quality, homemade gifts. Nice way to spend a Saturday;
- Kids N Co kids working hard doing homework afterschool and playing together in the yard and sometimes in the Forum;
- Project Cornerstone Volunteers heading into classrooms with books and props that they have created to engage students in conversations that center on the character trait of the month;
- Working with fifth grade students to make models of molecules out of Legos. Ahh, the fun of science;
- Releasing elementary students to the play yard after they have endured a couple of indoor recesses. Oh the bliss;
- Kinder through fifth grade students learning passing and “quarterback” skills in PE with Coach Patino. Do not be surprised if your student suddenly offers an armchair critique to one of the NFL quarterbacks on game day.
- Preparations for the STORM! All of us are thinking ahead. Just another way things get done in the Mountains. Please do make choices regarding sending students to school based on what is best for your family. Best wishes for a safe ride.
Wild Times @ CTE
Early Release EVERY Wednesday @ 1:30 pm
12/19/14 CT Talent Show!!! 11:30 Gym
12/19/14 Minimum Day at both schools 12:30 dismissal
NO SCHOOL 12/22/14 through 1/2/2014, school resumes Monday 1/5/2015
1/9/15 CT Winter Dance-Loma Forum
1/16/15 End of Quarter 2