January 12, 2022
Dear CTE Parents/Guardians:
Happy Wednesday! Inside this week’s News you will find information about new student registration, student Covid vaccination status, the upcoming school lunch program, and a call out for CT English after school sports coaches.
With the current surge in Omicron, masks continue to be required when indoors. We are now encouraging staff and students to wear masks when outdoors. You can help this effort by having a conversation with your child about wearing their mask even when outside.
Billy Martin, Principal
Loma Prieta JUSD
Martin Luther King Day -No School– Jan 17th
Professional Development Day -No School – Jan 18th
February Recess -No School- Feb 21st- Feb 25th
NEWS AND INFORMATION
It’s Enrollment Time at Loma Prieta!
It is already that time of year to begin registering your child for kindergarten for the 2022-2023 school year! They will be the future graduating Class of 2035! We would also welcome the enrollment of any new students to our schools. The process is the same as last year. To best help us prepare for your child’s arrival in August of 2022, we would like to ask that you complete the online registration process now. Returning student registration will be available later this spring.
Our registration process is online on our website at “www.loma.k12.ca.us” From the home page, please select the “For Parents” tab across the top banner and then select “Student Registration”. After that you will simply follow the prompts. At the end of the online registration process, you will need to print and complete a few forms by hand and submit some additional hard copy documentation to Julie Bourque, secretary at CT English.
In addition, we would love your help determining future kindergarten classes by taking a moment to complete the "Future Students of Loma Form" Google Form: https://forms.gle/NQDwPirn7SdGnKKx9 As you may be aware, new legislation may make Transitional Kindergarten (TK) available to all students at the age of 4. Your information will allow us to anticipate possible TK program needs.
Covid Vaccination Status Information
New Covid guidance now relies more heavily on a student's current vaccination status. To better assist us in making our decisions in the event of an exposure, it would help expedite necessary decisions if we were able to know your child(ren)'s vaccination status. This survey is completely voluntary, and we will still contact you if your child is ever Covid positive or a Close Contact. Please complete one form for EACH of your children if you have more than one child. Follow the link: Covid Vaccination
School Lunch Program Update
School lunches are almost here! Lunch will be offered at Loma and CTE on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning Feb 1st. Lunches are $7. Each meal will have a main dish, veggie, fruit and milk. There will also be meatless options. Directions and menus will be included in next Wednesday’s newsletter. If you would like to volunteer to help prep, serve and/or cleanup, please contact Lila Jones at vpcommunications@CTEHSC.org for CT information or Jamie Cassell at firstname.lastname@example.org for Loma information.
CT Coaches Needed
We are looking for coaches for CTE wrestling, track and field, girls’ volleyball, and boys’ soccer. Volleyball and Soccer will start in mid-February and Wrestling and Track & Field start at the beginning of April. If you are interested in helping out, please contact Nancy Lanovaz, Athletic Director, email@example.com.
Fab41 Developmental Assets
January Asset of the Month: Adult Role Model
Asset #14: Parent(s) and other adults’ model positive, responsible behavior
The LPJUSD School Board would like to continue providing our community an opportunity to talk with Board members in a more informal setting than our monthly board meetings. These “Board Chats” allow community members to engage up to two Board members (Brown Act limit) and the Superintendent in conversations regarding district-wide topics. While no decisions can be made at these meetings, items discussed could potentially become future Board items to be addressed by all Board members.
Our 2nd “Board Chat” will occur Tuesday, Jan 22nd at 6pm in Room 21. For those who feel more comfortable attending remotely, Zoom participation details are included below. Join Zoom Meeting. Thank you, and we look forward to chatting it up with you!
As we embark into the New Year, we would like to extend our gratitude to the families and community members who have continued to support our local schools.
The Loma Public Education Fund (LPEF) is a non-profit established in 2001 to raise funds for the Loma Prieta Joint Union School District. Funds raised by LPEF are awarded to the district as program grants that directly support student learning.
LPEF will soon be setting our fundraising goal for the 2022-2023 school year to bridge the gap between what LPJUSD receives in government funding and the cost to educate each student. KEEP is our annual giving campaign and has been fundamental in raising funds to keep teachers and programs for students at both Loma and CTE. Stay tuned for more details!
Finally, our volunteers play a crucial role in the success of LPEF. If you are interested in getting involved, visit our website to learn more about the opportunities available at LPEF Volunteer
Building Blocks Fundraiser
Building Blocks Cooperative Preschool has partnered with Bonfire to create some super awesome “Mountain Kid” shirts in a variety of baby, youth and adult styles. The logo was created with love for our mountain community and to represent our “hood”! See the attached flyer for more information. All proceeds go directly to Building Blocks.
Loma Prieta Foundation Community Blood Drive
On Saturday, Jan 29th, LPCF will be sponsoring a blood drive on the mountain from 9:30-2:30. The Stanford Blood Bus will be coming to the Building Blocks parking lot. Serious blood shortages are being experienced across the bay area at this time, so please register to donate if you can. You can sign up using Blood Donation Signup
LOMA & CTE HOME SCHOOL CLUB NEWS
Visit the Loma Home and School Club website to register for the School Directory, or go directly to the Loma Prieta & CT English School Directory to add your information. The School Directory is an important tool for class, school, school and family communications. The Home and School Clubs do NOT give out family directory information to other organizations or platforms. The School Directory can be accessed using a web browser or from an app on a mobile device. More information can be found at the Loma & CTE Directory.
CTE HOME SCHOOL CLUB NEWS
We hope you had a great holiday break and that everyone is healthy and relaxed. We have 2 quick announcements for this week:
- SKATE NIGHT FUN NIGHT is being postponed!! We are still in the final stages of rescheduling this event as a measure to keep everyone safe until we have better knowledge of the Covid cases post-holiday break. Stay tuned for an update on the new date, likely to be the end of January.
- FUNDRAISING DINNER!! We have our first fundraising dinner of the year on Wednesday, Jan 25thfrom 5-9pm at Chipotle in Los Gatos. Don’t be shy! Mention CTE or Loma HSC at the time of ordering/checkout. If ordering online, you MUST use the Chipotle app! Use Promo Code NEZ92DM on the Chipotle app or website. Please note that fundraiser online ordering is only valid through pickup during your fundraiser’s scheduled date, time, and assigned restaurant. Ordering delivery for fundraisers is not permitted at this time.
- THE GOODWILL TRUCK IS COMING!!! Start clearing your closets, toy chests and garages because the CTE HSC is excited to sponsor a Goodwill donation and E-waste drive fundraiser again!! The truck attendant will accept donations Saturday, Jan 22nd and Sunday, Jan 23rd, from 9am to 2pm on both days. (Do not drop off donations while the trailer is unattended.) For your safety, we ask that donors stay in their car while the attendants unload each vehicle. Goodwill Silicon Valley CANNOT accept furniture, mattresses, large appliances, exercise equipment, automobile parts, weapons, household trash, food, carpeting, construction debris, hazardous household chemicals, liquids of any kind, pet related items, items over fifty pounds, and television sets with over 27-inch screens. We CAN accept microwaves, VCRs, printers, and vacuums in good working order. Your donations support Goodwill of Silicon Valley and CT English Middle School. Thank you for bringing us your unwanted/unused items. We look forward to giving them a second life while raising valuable funds that benefit our family, friends, and neighbors. We look forward to having you join us at one of these great events. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Chronic absenteeism negatively affects your child’s school outcomes. A student is considered chronically absent if they are absent without a valid excuse for at least 10% of the instructional days they are enrolled. That means a student is chronically absent even if they only miss 1 day of school every two weeks without an excuse. Frequent absences from school are cause for concern. Students who miss just one or two days of school each month risk falling seriously behind. Being absent from school can lead to significant problems. Students who miss many days of school are more likely to fail classes, drop out from school, and have poor relationships with parents, teachers, and peers. Please remember that every absence matters. If you need support with your child’s attendance, please reach out to your child’s teacher or to Billy Martin. Thank you for supporting your child in their attendance at school.
If your child needs to be absent from school, please notify your child’s teacher(s) and the appropriate school office.
Health and Wellness Reminders
With the current rise of Covid in our community, it is important to continue to be diligent in completing the Home Symptom Screener:
- If your child does not feel well, please do not send them to school. If they exhibit any signs/symptoms related to Covid, students will be sent home. Students must be symptom free with no medication (no fever or vomiting for 24 hours) for 24 hours prior to returning to school.
- Medications, including over the counter products, cough drops, and homeopathic remedies are not allowed to be self-administered by students. Please do not send these products to school with your child.
- The Daily Home Symptom Screening should be completed each day in PowerSchool prior to the arrival of your child.
- Login into your Parent Portal of PowerSchool (parents new to LPJUSD will receive information on how to set up your account)
- Click on Forms in the left-hand navigation menu
- Select the 2021-2022 Daily Home Symptom Screening
- Complete the form and submit