August 21, 2019
Dear Loma Families,
My Top 3 Moments of the Week...
- Watching our dedicated teachers put their finishing touches on their classrooms in anticipation of meeting their new students.
- Welcoming students back to school morning at drop-off. I love seeing all the newly toothless smiles.
- Seeing last year’s Loma 5th graders suddenly transform into this year’s 6th grade C.T.’ers. What a difference a summer can make!
No Dogs on Campus
We love dogs! Unfortunately, they can create health and safety concerns for schools. As such, dogs are never permitted on the Loma or CT campuses. This includes afterschool and on the weekends. Dogs ARE allowed across the street on the north campus. When you use the north campus, please pick up after your dog and place the bag in a refuse container. Thank you for your cooperation!
Back to School Night at Loma- 8/28
This year teacher presentations will be staggered by grade level with important information relevant to all parents presented in between. We will start promptly at 6:30pm in the amphitheater behind the forum. Please come on time so you don’t miss your child/rens’ classroom presentation. This is a parents-only event. Come on time and come early for parking!
Back to School Night at CT (9/4)
Please pick up your child’s class schedule as you enter the CT courtyard promptly at 6:30p. Parents will rotate through each of their children’s classes hearing short presentations from each teacher. This is a parent-only event. Come on time and come early for parking!
At the end of last school year, students in grades three through eight and high school participated in the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress.
Last year, your child took the following test(s), depending on their grade level:
- Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments for English language arts/literacy (ELA) and mathematics in grades three through eight and grade eleven
- California Science Test (CAST) in grades five and eight and once in high school
- California Spanish Assessment (CSA) in grades three through eight and high school
Student Score Reports can now be accessed electronically through the parent portal on our student information system: https://loma.powerschool.com/public/
Once you have logged on to the parent portal, click on “score reports” located in the left-hand navigation menu.
This report shows scores for ELA and mathematics. It includes an overall score for each subject and information about how well your child did in different areas. Students in grades four through eight who took the test in previous years will also see past scores so you can see your child’s progress over time.
To learn more about your child’s scores, go to the new parent web page called Starting Smarter, available at https://ca.startingsmarter.org/.
This site includes:
- resources to help understand results on the student score reports
- access to sample test questions and practice tests
- no-cost resources to support learning
- a guide for parent-teacher conferences
In our district, the test results are just one way to look at how well our students are doing. We use the results to find areas where students are doing well and areas in which they need help. It is also important to know that the test results are not used to determine whether a student moves to the next grade.
Note: If your child took the CAST or the CSA, the results will be provided to you in the late fall.
If you have questions or concerns, please call the school office to arrange a conference with your child’s teacher.
Karren Zook, Principal
Loma HSC News
Order your Loma Gear! Get your Loma t-shirts and hoodies for the new school year! Visit the Loma Home and School Club store at https://www.lomaprietahsc.org/online-store to order. Orders can be delivered to your child or to the office for you to pick up. Any questions contact Julie Stanton at Stanton_julie@yahoo.com.
Loma Upcoming Events
EARLY RELEASE EVERY WEDNESDAY – DISMISSAL AT 1:30p FOR ALL STUDENTS
8/28 Back-to-School Night 6:30-8p
8/30 SoW Assembly 8:30a
9/2 Labor Day – No School
9/6 Spirit Day – Class Color Day